The Q&A Archives: Sweet Peppers- How To Grow Them?

Question: For the past couple years I've been growing California Wonder sweet peppers. When the fruit starts to turn red I pick it, but when I cut it open the skin is so thin it takes 2 or 3 of my peppers to equal the amount of "meat" that you get in a store bought pepper. I've planted the peppers in a different garden thinking it might be the soil, but I have the same results. What am I doing wrong, should I fertilize the plants more, or do they need more water? Suggestions?

Answer: It sounds like you have been growing the peppers just fine, but might be happier with a different variety. You might want to experiment and see if one of the newer varieties of bell pepper is more to your liking. Look for one described as "thick" or "beefy" for thicker walls.