The Q&A Archives: Overgrown Hostas

Question: will you tell me the proper way to split my hostas so that they do not grow to huge proportions - including what time of year this should happen.

Answer: Hostas can be divided almost any time of the year but early fall and early spring are preferred. Water the plant well the day before. Then you may dig up the entire clump and separate off sections by cutting them off with a knife or if you prefer you can leave it in the ground and dig straight down to lift out sections with a sharp spade. Each division should have top growth and corresponding attached roots. Replant at the same depth as it grew originally, water deeply and keep the soil moist until it becomes reestablished. This is one of the most forgiving plants when it comes to division, so give it your best shot.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"