The Q&A Archives: Ipomea Indica. Is It An Evergreen In Zone 9?

Question: I live in Pleasant Hill, CA which is zone 9 based on the Monrovia temp zones. The Sunset Western garden book defines it as zone 14.

I've got a fence with a trellis on which I would like an evergreen vine. The area gets full sun with a Southerly exposure. I am looking for something that will grow quickly and provide year round coverage on the trellis. I have looked at the Blue Dawn Morning Glory as a good candidate. I spoke with a garden consultant at Navlet?s where I intended to buy your ipomea indica and they informed me that the vine is not evergreen but dies back in the winter and re-establishes itself from seed every spring. This seems inconsistent with the information on your site. Would you please provide some clarification? I would also like any other recommendations that you might have.

Dan Dolan

Answer: Ipomoea acuminata 'Blue Dawn' is a fast-growing evergreen vine which flowers freely in warm climates. It thrives in full sunshine, in moist, rich soil. It should suit your purpose well. Other suggestions include Lonicera periclymenium 'Winchester' (Winchester Honeysuckle)and Clematis armandii (evergreen clematis). Good luck with your landscaping project!