The Q&A Archives: Substitute For Oak Trees

Question: We have hundreds of mature oak trees on our 3 acres. Unfortunately about a dozen of them suffered with the "sudden death syndrome", within the last two years, and more of them show weakness, which is usually the beginning of their demise. Since this trend may continue for years to come, I am looking for trees with similar qualities. Hardy, drought resistant. My idea: olive, pepper (no eucalyptus). Please give me your opinion.
Thank you

Answer: Oak Root Fungus can kill healthy-looking trees in a matter of a few short years. If this is the problem with your trees, you'll want to choose new trees that show reasonable resistance to the fungus. (The fungus can remain for years, sustaining itself on the dead roots of oak trees.) Some suggestions for replacement trees include Acacia longifolia, Catalpa, Elaeagnus angustifolia (Russian Olive), Gleditsia (honey locust), Malus (flowering crabapple, and Melaleuca styphetioides (black tea tree). Hope these suggestions are helpful.