The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer Schedule For Various Shrubs

Question: Hello,

I am a recent new home owner and have planted a number of New shrubs around my house. I was hoping you can help me with a Fertlization schedule as well as what to use for the following plants:

Fire Mountain Andromeda

Dwarf Burning Bush

Hellier compact Holly

Shamrock Holly (Inkberry Ilex glabra)

Otto Luyken Cherry Laurel

Crimson Barberry

Ilex Creata Compacta Holly

Star Magnolia

Ann Magnolia

Your help would be appreciated.......We plan on treating these plants with much TLC and want to make sure we are getting the best information.

Thank You

Answer: Your optimum fertilization amounts would be determined on the basis of soil tests. There is really no other way to make a precise recommendation. Your county extension can help you with the soil tests and interpreting the results.

For a rule of thumb, you would use a granular fertilizer for acid loving plants according to the label instructions for all but the euonymous and barberry. These last two would be fine with a general purpose complete fertilizer such as a granular 10-10 10 again according to the label instructions. Additionally you could provide them all with a top dressing of compost in late fall after frost and again in the spring.