The Q&A Archives: Growing Ipomea Indica Indoors

Question: I bought a Monrovia brand Blue Dawn Morning Glory (ipomea indica) and would like to grow it indoors. I know it needs direct light and needs to be watered regularly...any other suggestions? My home is air-conditioned and is very dry, but I love the vine and would like it all over my home.

Answer: This plant is a true sun lover so it may be difficult to keep it bright enough to do well as a houseplant; it will also need to be potted into larger pots as it grows. This can be a huge vine under the right conditions. Also, take care not to over water it since it may be using less water indoors than it would outside even in air conditioned surroundings. (Outdoor conditions include drying wind and hot drying sun so plants seem to dry out faster.) Finally, you will need to fertilize little if at all during the winter when the plant slows its growth due to lower light conditions, increase it in the summer when it is growing faster. Use a water soluble fertilizer for container plants and read and follow the instructions. Enjoy your plant!