The Q&A Archives: Hot Peppers

Question: Is there anything I can do to assure that my peppers are very, very hot? The hotter I can get them the better. I plant Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero and Santa Fe Grande. I am able to get a great supply of very hot peppers in the majority of the harvests but there are lulls here and there and the heat dissipates leaving me with a fine healthy pepper but little or no heat.

Answer: You are in the perfect climate to grow hot, hot, hot peppers. The hotter the air temperature where the peppers are grown, the hotter the peppers will be. Another factor that can influence heat is the timing of nitrogen fertilizer application. Avoid applying nitrogen after the fruit has set because the fertilizer can reduce the heat of the peppers.