The Q&A Archives: Heard Of Trestonia?

Question: I am looking for an evergreen "screen" to hide a 3 story apartment building in the lot behind us. A landscape architect recommended Trestonia/Treestonia but I cannot find a picture of it anywhere. I am also considering Bengamina Ficus, although it is somewhat uninteresting. Any thoughts on either? THANK YOU.

Answer: I'm not familiar with 'trestonia', but there are many trees and shrubs which can be used successfully for screening unwanted views. Here's a list - as a bonus, some of these plants produce seasonal flowers - Arborvitae, Ilex (holly) Ligustrum (privet), Cupressocyparis leylandii (Leyland Cypress), Myrtus communis (Myrtle), Leptospermum, Nerium (oleander), Photinia, Xylosma congestum and Escallonia.