The Q&A Archives: Chitalpa-leaf Drop?

Question: I am interested in planting a Chitalpa 'Pink Dawn' and a friend is interested in "Morning Cloud'. I read an article on the web that said they are prone to leaf drop in the summer (this was in New Mexico) and that their water requirements are closer to Catalpa than Chilopsis. What is your opinion on this? Also, are they prone to insects (i.e.aphids)? Thank you.

Rachelle Dior

Answer: Chitalpa 'Pink Dawn' grows rapidly to 20'-30' tall and wide. This tree combines the larger flowers of its Catalpa bignonioides parent with the desert toughness and flower color of Chilopsis linearis, its other parent. Leaves are 4-5" long, 1" wide and the tree produces erect clusters of frilly, trumpet-shaped flowers from late spring to fall. Plant in full sun and provide regular water during the growing season until the tree is well-established. Once it's growing strong it requires little water but will thrive when watered regularly. The trees are strong and not necessarily prone to insect or disease problems. Leaf drop from drought stress can be avoided if your tree is watered on a regular basis during the hot summer months.