The Q&A Archives: My Hollys Inkberry Shamrock Leaves Are Turning Yellow And Falling Off

Question: Why are my Holly Inkberry shamrock leaves turning yellow and falling off?

The most common reason for this to happen is drought stress. Holly Inkberry grows naturally in very moist or almost swampy locations but will tolerate soil with an average moisture level. In a dry year or a year that is very hot, you may need to water them to maintain a more even level of soil moisture. Newly planted inkberry hollies must be watered so that the soil stays evenly moist for the first season while they are becoming established. This must be done until the ground freezes. An occasional deep soaking is preferred over a daily light sprinkling. The deep soaking will encourage deeper rooting which is what you want. After watering, dig down and see how effective it has been -- it can be surprising. Then dig down an inch or so to tell when you need to water again. Using several inches of organic mulch to help maintain that soil moisture.

If you feel that your plants are not suffering water stress, you might take a sample to your county extension to consult about other possible causes. In the meantime, clean up and dispose of any fallen inkberry leaves.