The Q&A Archives: Purple Fountain Grass And Ageratina Altissima

Question: 1. I bought three large purple fountain grass plants which have flourished in my zone 6 garden, thinking that they are winter hardy here. Now I am given to understand that they are not. If that is so, could I dig them up with any success for next year? They are magnificent and I hate to lose them.
2. I have many ageratina altissima (white snakeroot) growing here. I read that they are not border friendly and should be allowed to grow in a woodland setting. They seem to flourish for me in both sun and partial shade, even very shady areas. Is there any way I could move some of them around to expand the areas where they grow and beautify some naked spots, especially in shady areas? This is really a beautiful fall flower along with aster frikartii.
3. Should I divide perennials now or wait until Spring? The cimicifuga, lysimachia clethorides and anemone tomentosa I planted late last fall all grew beautifully this year.

Many thanks for your help in the past and for your advice here.

Answer: a windy spot. This is a lovely plant for borders or woodland gardens. a windy spot. This is a lovely plant for borders or woodland gardens.