The Q&A Archives: Lavender Lady Lilac Needs Help

Question: The leaves on the Monrovia Lavender Lady Lilac I purchased 4 months ago are puckering and rusting in the center. What can I do?

Answer: If the leaves on your lilac are crinkled with a reddish-brown discoloration I'd suspect a fungal disease. Leaf blights are common with lilacs and generally can be avoided by providing full sunshine and enough room all around the plant for good air circulation. You can prune out the diseased stems and branches and dispose of them. This will open the plant up to better air circulation and keep the fungal spores from splashing onto healthy plant parts during rainy weather. To further control the disease, rake and remove fallen leaves at the end of the season. New growth next spring should be nice and healthy.