The Q&A Archives: Is Escallonia In Any Way Poisonous To Humans Or Animals

Question: A neighbouring farmer is alleging that his young cattle have been poisoned by eating my Escallonia hedge. I recently cut it back, some of the cutings may have went onto his land, otherwise his cattle have been leaning over and indeed under my fence chewing at the hedge. I do not believe that his animals have been poisoned at all. All my reference books make no mention of any hazzard with the plant. The hedge is Donard Star variety, is 3 years old and only 4 feet tall. I would like to know if there is any possibility that the livestock could have been affected by eating the hedge or is the farmer pulling a fast one!

Hope to hear from you as soon as possible please

Answer: Unfortunately, I am not a veterinary toxicologist. I think you, your neighbor and the cattle would be best served by checking with a local veterinarian who specializes in cattle and locally accessible plants that may be harmful to them. This way you will be assured of receiving expert on-site advice and perhaps the cattle will be ultimately either found healthy or protected from whatever is making them ill -- be it a plant or some other source altogether. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance.