The Q&A Archives: Star Jasmine In Winter

Question: I have a Monrovia Star Jasmine that I potted in a large pot. This year it did not bloom very well. I need to bring it in because the weather is getting too cold. How should I care for my plant before I bring it in? How much should I prune? Thank you so much.

Lisa Loree

Answer: Jasmines make excellent houseplants. Provide average household warmth (minimum 45F in winter), bright light with some direct sunshine, keep soil moist at all times and mist the leaves frequently to increase humidity around the plant. If you regularly pinch out the growing tips of your plant it will produce new flowering stems. Start by bringing your potted jasmine indoors at night and taking it out during the day, gradually leaving it inside for longer and longer periods of time until it spends 24 hours a day indoors. (Reverse this process when the weather warms in the spring and it's time to take your plant back outdoors.) Once it has become acclimated to indoor growing you can pinch back the very long shoots to encourage new stems. Pinch them back to the point where you want 2 new shoots to appear. If conditions are right the new stems will develop flowers which will fill the room with a wonderful perfume.