The Q&A Archives: Storing Bulbs

Question: My father brought me tulip bulbs home from Holland. I am moving over the winter and do not want to plant the bulbs here. How can I store the bulbs so next year I can plant them at my new home?

Answer: Unfortunately, tulip bulbs are living things and just will not keep from year to year without being planted. Perhaps you could plant them at a friend's house and transplant them next year? You could also plant them in containers and chill the containers and then bring them into growth next spring to enjoy the blooms. Then take them with you when you move and plant them in your new garden next spring or possibly even next fall. Forcing the bulbs in containers can be a bit rough on tulips, with not all varieties thriving after such treatment, but this is the best alternative I can think of. Good luck with your tulips!