The Q&A Archives: What Tree To Plant.

Question: I want to plant two trees along an eight foot fence to provide shade and cover powerlines. My cement walkway borders this planting area so I don't want anything that will bring up the cement. I don't want it to grow too large. I have looked at your Photinia but I have that as a hedge on another fence? What else would you suggest.

Thanks so much for your time.

Answer: I'd tend to plant large shrubs rather than trees if the planting area is directly beneath power lines. If tree branches come too close to the lines, the power company will trim them back and you'll end up with a lopsided tree. Tall, dense shrubs such as Laurel, Escallonia, Abelia, Dodonaea (hop bush), Ilex (holly) or Viburnum tinus will make effective hedges and give you the bonus of seasonal flowers. Hope one of these suggestions works for you!