The Q&A Archives: Summer Flowers

Question: What kind of flowers can you plant around the base of trees that will last all summer? We live in Eastern Oregon and our summers are hot - the wind also blows off and on all summer. Thank you.

Answer: A variety of plants, with various bloom times, will provide you with summer-long color under your trees. I suspect it's a shady area and recommend: Perennials -- Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Campanula, lily-of-the-valley, Dicentra, Digitalis, Ferns, Hosta, daylilies, Liriope, Monarda, Pachysandra, Thalictrum, Vinca. Annuals -- Begonia, Browallia, Coleus, annual Foxglove, Forget-me-not, Impatiens, Primrose, Torenia, Viola. Bulbs -- Begonia, Caladium, Camassia, Elephant's ears, Lilium, Narcissus, Scilla, Callas.