The Q&A Archives: Pruning Angel Wing Begonia

Question: My angel wing begonias are bushy, tall, and still blooming. One bush is the cane variety with thick stalks, the other is the regular angel wing. Do I cut them back and down for the winter?

Answer: The cane-type begonia can be ever-blooming, but I suspect it will stop blooming when the weather cools. Cut the older, non-bearing canes back to two leaf joints in the early spring to stimulate new growth. Your angel wing begonia will need a resting period. The leaves will yellow and wilt at the end of the growing season. That's the time to reduce watering. When the leaves fall off, lift the tubers, shake off the soil, and dry in a cool, dry spot for several days. Then store in a cool, dry place until spring. You'll know it's time to replant when small pink buds appear on the tubers.