The Q&A Archives: Bringing Houseplants to California

Question: I am relocating to S. California and have been told that I cannot bring any of my house plants with me. Is this correct? If so, why? I am told it has to do with bugs.

Answer: I would contact the California Department of Agriculture and ask them just what the regulations are. California has such a huge amount of land devoted to agriculture, it's understandable that they would want to regulate just what comes in and goes out of the state. So many insect and disease pests are introduced from travelers!<br><br>You might also call the California Cooperative Extension Service (ph# 510/987-0505) to see if they have any information. There may be a way to "quarantine" yourfavorite plants. There could be fines for bringing in unauthorized plants, so it pays to check this out beforehand.