The Q&A Archives: S. California Trees

Question: I am relocating to S. California and know nothing about their growing seasons. Do their trees loose their leaves in fall and do they change colors?

Answer: You'll find a whole range of tree types and colors--many will be familiar, many won't. Some trees will lose their leaves each fall. Others might lose their leaves in the heat of the summer, then regrow them during the rest of the year! Colors will vary. Though you won't have too many bright red sugar maples, you'll have a whole range of trees and shrubs with their own colors and foliage habits. What an exciting gardening adventure! (Of course, it's November, and here in Vermont that means 6 more months of winter! Southern California sounds pretty good to me!)