The Q&A Archives: Can I Keep a Spruce Indoors?

Question: I received a Dwarf Alberta Spruce and am wondering if I can grow it indoors for a while? It is about 24 inches tall. I'd like to use it in my office at work.

Answer: Unfortunately, Dwarf Alberta Spruce does not make a good indoor plant. Any length of time indoors is really not good for it since it interrupts the normal seasonal adaptations the tree is going through. It would do much better planted outside as soon as possible. In the meantime, keep it outside in a location sheltered from the wind and be sure to keep the potting mix moist. (This may mean a daily watering, check the soil with your fingers to see if you need to water.) If you wish to keep an evergreen tree indoors, consider an Italian stone pine or a Norfolk Island pine instead.