The Q&A Archives: Pruning Clematis

Question: Should I cut back my clematis or just leave it until it begins to bloom in the spring?

Answer: Clematis pruning depends upon the type you have. Some clematis bloom on old wood, and others bloom on the current year's growth. Lightly prune to shape the kind that blooms on old wood, after flowering. Heavily prune clematis that bloom on new wood in late winter or early spring before bud break. Remove all dead shoots and trim vines back to the first pair of plump buds. Some of the most popular clematis include: C. maximowicziana, Sweet Autumn Clematis, that flowers from August through October, C. tangutica, Golden Clematis, that blooms in June and July, and C. macropetala, a big-petaled clematis that blooms in the spring.