The Q&A Archives: Pollenizer for Holly

Question: 1) I purchased a Variegated English Holly in October. It is just beginning to get berries. Does this mean that I do not need a male pollenizer (i.e., that possibly there is one nearby) or are the berries from pollenization that took place price before I bought the shrub?

2) If I do need to buy a male pollenizer I understand that the Gold Coast English Holly (Ilex aquifolium) is the likely choice. The Variegated English Holly that I purchased is planted in my front yard. Assuming that I need a male pollenizer, given my landscape, I would prefer to plant the Gold Coast English Holly in my backyard. Would the male pollenizer be effective in the backyard with the Variegated English Holly in the frontyard?

Answer: Hollies flower in the spring so the berries are a result of pollination prior to your purchase. 'Gold Coast' is a male Ilex aquifolium and will pollinate 'Argenteo Marginata', the female variegated English holly. Insects carry pollen from male to female plants so having one holly in the front yard and one in the back yard should be just fine.