The Q&A Archives: Overwintering Container Rose

Question: I have a 'Blue Girl' hybrid tea in a container outside. It's a year old. I don't think it will survive outside during the winter. Can I keep it my south-facing window indoors during the winter?

Answer: It is very difficult to provide a rose with sufficient light indoors during the winter. You would probably have better results by planting the rose with or without the pot in the ground and mulching it for the winter. Another option is to set the pot in a sheltered location, and heap mulch over and around the pot to insulate the roots as best you can, and wrapping the top with burlap. In any case, make sure to keep the soil slightly moist whenever it is not frozen and please do not be too disappointed if it does not survive the winter.