The Q&A Archives: Acer Palmatum

Question: I am looking for an Acer Palmatum that has the following characteristics:

a) A bright red leaf (a brick red rather than a purple red)
b) That will grow 15ft to 20ft tall
c) That will withstand the sun in Southern California.
d) The location I have in mind is a East facing location and receives sum until about 2:00PM
e) Is preferably a medium to fast grower. I do realize that most Acer Palmatums do not grow very fast.

Please could you let me know what varieties you would recommend

Many thanks & Kindest regards

Answer: It sounds as though you've done enough research on maples to know the general characteristics of Acer palmatum. Most are slow growing and few have brick-red foliage. Even fewer will grow exactly 12'-15' high. However, Acer palmatum 'Ever Red' has most of the qualities you're looking for. It's a grafted tree and therefore will grow faster than one grown from seed. It has deep red foliage and will grow about 10' high and wide. A second consideration is 'Oshio-Beni'. The leaves are brilliant orange-red (rather than the brick red you're seeking) but it's a moderate grower to about 15' tall and 18' wide.

If either of these trees interest you, contact one of the following local nurseries to see the trees first hand. Seeing them up close will help you decide which is right for your landscape:

La Crescenta Nursery
3654 La Crescenta Ave.
Glendale, CA 91208
(818) 249-2448

Armstrong/La Canada #728
1515 Foothill Blvd.
La Canada, CA 91011
(818) 790-2555

Armstrong/Glendale #727
5816 San Fernando Road
Glendale, CA 91203
(818) 243-4227

Virgils Hardware
520 N. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, CA 91206
(818) 242-1104