The Q&A Archives: Borers In Old Apricot Trees

Question: I have recently moved into a place which has old (60 yrs) Apricot trees. Fruit production is not important, but preserving the trees with the shade is. They have probably have had borers for 10 years. I have started on an agressive water and caring schedule, since they were neglected. What is the best course to regain an health tree. There are 3 of them.

Answer: Wow! Apricot trees usually live about 20-30 years. Pests generally attack when plants are stressed either for water, nutrients or appropriate light. Since the trees weren't cared for, they were no doubt in a weakened state and prime for attack. If the trees have been seriously infested for 10 years, they may not be salvageable. I suggest you take samples of the borer damage, and the insect itself if you can find it for exact identification (there are many types of borers) to your County Cooperative Extension office in Prescott, 520-445-6590. They can then suggest appropriate treatment. Good luck!