The Q&A Archives: Deer.....japanese Maples

Question: will my japanese maple be eaten by can i protect them?

Answer: Unfortunately, deer seem to learn to eat almost anything sooner or later, especially if the plant is on their regular browing route. There are commercial and home-made spray-on repellents you can try (home made usually based on garlic pepper and egg or hanging bars of soap from the branches), and some people report success with a variety of scare tactics such as motion activated lights, water or noise, but in my own experience a fence is the only reliable long term protection. Some people use electric fencing, others use a very tall sturdy fence (about eight feet plus outriggers on top) and others use two fences parallel to each other about four feet high and four feet apart. In my own garden I have been able to protect isolated trees in a large lawn by putting fence around them individually. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.