The Q&A Archives: African Shaving Tree Or Shaving Brush Tree

Question: I hope that you might be able to help me.. I saw a tree on HGTV that was in the Bahamas..The name of it is African Shaving Tree or Shaving Brush Tree.. Can you please tell me where I might be able to purchase this tree and also what sort of conditions does this tree trive in.. I live in zone 8..Also the care that this tree might have to have..
Thank You Very Much,
Ginger Price

Answer: Ginger,

Shaving Brush Tree (Pseudobombax ellipticum) is a tropical. It cannot take a frost or freeze and loves warm conditions and good soil drainage. Water periodically to wet the soil well and then allow to start to dry out before watering again. Give it a bright sunny location. Fertilize lightly with a soluble plant food at the low constant feed label rate during the spring and summer months.

This species is listed as being available from the following source:

Native Habitat Landscaping