The Q&A Archives: Garden Design

Question: My husband has asked for a perennial garden for his 10th anniversary. I am stumped as to how to go about it. Do you offer any design service? It's about a 20ft strip down a wooden privacy fence. Bed line can be curved with rock border. Will need to fill in with soil then flowers! It's so big. I don't know where to start. Just know that tall plants to the back against the fence. Can you make a suggestion?

Answer: What a lovely gift! Many perennial plants take up a lot of room, and many spread quickly. Believe me, once you get started, you'll feel like there's not enough room! There are as many ways to design a garden as there are gardeners, but here are afew things that narrow down your choices: soil type, light/shade, drainage, moisture availability and climate. Also, what kinds of plants does your husband enjoy?<br><br>I suggest that you both peruse some gardening catalogs and visit local nursuries to decide on plant material, and to get an idea of how gardens are created. Garden Escape ( offers a free on-line design service - it's a wonderful way to generate ideas! Enjoy!