The Q&A Archives: Winter Storage Of Canna Rhizomes

Question: After digging up my canna and calla for winter storage I am wondering if/when I should divide these large clumps and how to do this?

Answer: In my garden I divide canna the same way I divide iris. Dig out the entire clump as completely as possible. Pull apart the rhizomes (they usually come apart quite easily). If they are ensnarled and you can't pull them apart, cut them apart with a very sharp knife. This part is a little scary if you are doing it for the first time. Believe me, they are quite forgiving and I have had rhizomes bloom that I thought I had mangled. Enrich the hole from which you removed the clump with some organic matter and a handful of 0-10-10 fertilizer (or a similar mix with no nitrogen). Replace one or more divisions into the hole and plant the remaining divisions wherever you want. If you are storing for the winter, after dividing follow the procedure you have used in the past.