The Q&A Archives: Tropicanna Canna

Question: I believe that my sister has given me her plant of Tropicanna Canna's. I am really excited to plant them. The only thing is I want to plant them in my backyard, will they spread like bamboo? I want to plant them very near my property line, but don't want them to spread to my neighbors yard.

Answer: Cannas do spread underground by rhizome, but they spread relatively slowly and are very easy to control, not at all like a running bamboo. Excess spreading is not a particular concern with cannas. To remove any excess simply lift and divide the clump or, in a pinch, dig straight down with a sharp spade to separate off any excess. The plants will also grow more slowly than usual in a drier less fertile soil, conversely they will be most lush and beautiful in rich evenly moist soil and plenty of sun. Enjoy your cannas!