The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea Peegee Grandiflora In Kansas?

Question: Can hydrangea peegee grow well in kansas and if i plant 4 in a row about 25 feet long is that planting them too close. I went to use them as small trees.

Answer: These plants are hardy from zones 3 to 8 and can be grown in Kansas. They will do their best however in an evenly moist loamy soil and in a location protected from the wind. The potential mature size varies depending on the cultural conditions and can be controlled if needed by careful pruning. These plants do tend to break in ice and wind storms and may require some tidying each year due to their naturally irregular growth outlines. In my experience, allowing about at least 6 to maybe 8 feet between them when pruned into tree form and allowing for shaping as needed will provide room for a nice floral display where they are just about touching each other at the tips; their size can vary from 10 to 20 feet across but in a harsher climate I would suggest the tighter spacing.