The Q&A Archives: Looking For A Pine Type Tree We Saw In Greece

Question: Can you help me find a Pine tree I saw in Greece? The branches grow about 1 foot apart on the trunk. There are about 5 branches that go around the trunk on each level. It has long needles that grow on the top of the branches. The needles are short at the tip of the branch and get gradually longer until they are 5 inches long. They grow in sections about 18 inches long. I have a picture if you will write me so I can send them to you.

Thank you

Answer: Conifers are best identified by the cone shape and size, and by the number of needles in a bundle. However, based on your description of branching habit, I'm guessing it could be Pinus engelmannii. These trees develop one row of branches each year and they're almost always evenly distributed around the trunk. Another possiblility is the Araucaria family. A. araucana, commonly called Monkey Puzzle tree. The needles are shorter than you describe, but the branching pattern matches. A. heterophylla, or Norfolk Island Pine, has smaller needles but the correct branching pattern. Wish I could offer more help!