The Q&A Archives: General Information On Dwarf Ornamental Willow

Question: I've gone to several nurseries to learn more about the hakuro nishiki, without much luck. Apparently this is a fairly new dwarf tree, so there is not much information available. I'm thinking about planting this tree in a planter, but don't know if it's root system is too invasive for the planter. Also from what I understand the willow family often times are plagued with various pests. Is the hakuro nishiki any different. How would I provide an environment that will make it happy and successful.

Answer: Salix integra 'Hakuo Nishiki', the dappled willow, is native to Korea and Japan. It grows 4'-6' tall and wide, with a somewhat weeping form. The stems and leaf buds are salmon pink, with the leaves light green mottled with white and pink. It grows best in partial shade and requires ample moisture. Because of its diminutive mature size, it will easily adapt to growing in a container or planter. Willows can become host to several fungal and bacterial diseases, especially if grown under stressful conditions. You can keep your willow healthy by providing good air circulation all around, ample water, and by feeding occasionally to encourage new growth.