The Q&A Archives: Tobria Cold Hardiness

Question: I have several dwarf mock orange that did fine over our desert cold winter (Sunset Zone 11). I just bought 3 Creme de menthe varigated dwarf mock ornage but the Monrovia directions indicate 30 degrees for cold tolerance. The Sunset garden book includes zone 11 for tobira, but does this include the varigated? Is there a better choice?

Jackie Payne

Answer: Pittosporum Tobira will tolerate winter temperatures of about 28F. That puts it in the "borderline" category in your gardening region. I think it's worth the effort - you can provide temporary protection if there's a predicted prolonged cold snap. I've protected my plants by driving 4 stakes into the ground around the plant and attaching burlap, making an effective screen against cold winds. Hope this information helps you decide whether you're willing to take a chance with Tobira in your yard.