The Q&A Archives: Water Temperature For House Plants

Question: What is the best temperature to water your plants with? I am doing a science fair project on this subject and found that cold water made the new sprouts come up one day faster that the hot water did. I can understand how the cold water came up first but why did the hot water come up second and not the warm water? I planted Impatients and used tap water at 40 degrees, 60 degrees and 80 degrees. The hot water plant is the healthiest, too.

Answer: Ashley,

I am not sure that the results you found are normal for plants. I cannot say why such a response occurred unless the particular plant preferred cooler or warmer conditions that the room temperature and the cooler or warmer water thus made it a little more comfortable for a time.