The Q&A Archives: Will Frost Hurt New Leaves On A Viburnum Opulus (rosum)?

Question: I just purchased a Viburnum Opulus (Rosum) (Snowball), and it has some new leaves starting. It is still February, and I am afraid if I set it out, there will be one or more frosts before warm weather finally gets here.

Will its leaves be damaged?

Answer: If the plant has been growing outdoors at the nursery up until now, it should be sufficiently acclimated to the out of doors and able to withstand the frost and typical spring weather. Also, it is usually preferable to plant newly purchased shrubs as early in the season as possible so that they have the maximum amount of time to become well rooted before the stressful heat of summer comes along. I would suggest you probably do not want to keep it in the container any longer than necessary, go ahead and plant it in the ground.