The Q&A Archives: Privacy Hedge

Question: I am looking to get more privacy in my backyard wall and to cover an ugly masonry wall. I want a hedge to fill the wall (area approx 2.5 feet by 90 feet). I have wax leaf pivet on one side of the backyard but it's growing very slow. Is there anything else you can recommend to give me privacy sooner, and also something without a lot of insect and maintenance problem? I would be happy if the height was approx 6 1/2 feet or more but not above 11 feet. This area is full sun. I live in Los Angeles area, so cold weather is not a big concern.

Answer: You might consider pyracantha, Choisya ternata (Mexican orange), Photinia, Tecoma capensis (cape honeysuckle) or Viburnum tinus to hide the masonry wall. These are all well behaved hedging plants with moderate to fast growth once established. All will grow well in your gardening region.