The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Blind For Privacy

Question: I am looking for a fast growing "blind" for privacy. I would like it to be an evergreen that will grow to a minimum height of 10 ft. the bushier the better. It will have to be able to weather hot dry summers and sometimes snow in winter. We have been told that Priviett or Photinia would work, but I wanted to check with the experts. Thanks for your attention to this matter. Carrie Johnson

Answer: The perfect plant for the growing conditions you describe is Eucalyptus cinerea, the silver dollar tree. It's fast growing to 35', withstands full sun and dry conditions, and remains evergreen. Pittosporum is another good choice. Privet grows slowly compared to the above plants. Photinia will reach the desired height, but the beauty is in the new foliage (which is red). Annual trimming will produce a dense plant with lovely red foliage. Provide adequate air circulation around the photinia to avoid black spot and powdery mildew diseases.