The Q&A Archives: Pale Bougainvillea Foliage Color

Question: I Purchased the Monrovia Bougainvillea 'Mary Palmer?s Enchantment'. The photos of it on your website show the foliage to be a medium to dark green; however, the foliage on my Mary Palmer is a very light green. I wish it were darker so it would contrast better with the white flowers. What do you think is the problem and solution?

Answer: Your plant will benefit from regular applications of fertilizer. Use a diluted liquid fertilizer (according to label directions) in the spring and again in the summer. If you'd rather apply a granular fertilizer, use a slow-release 8-8-8, broadcast it over the root area, and scratch it in lightly. Then water your plant well. The nitrogen in the fertilizer will help green up the leaves of your bougainvillea.