The Q&A Archives: Sun/shade

Question: What do I do about a 60' wall that is all shade at ground level in the Fall and Winter and full sun in the Spring and Summer?

Thanks so much!

Answer: Since the growing season is spring through autumn for most plants, I'd consider the area to be "full sun". There are many plants that will do well in full sunshine in your gardening region. If you're considering vining plants, try Lonicera (honeysuckle), Rhoicissus capensis (evergreen grape), Rosa rugosa (groundcover rose) or Akebia quinata. If you're more interested in small shrubs, Erica (heather), Cistus (rockrose) and Genista (broom) will perform well in the area. There's also an abundance of annual and perennial flowers to choose from, including Arabis (rockcress), Armeria (thrift), Aurinia saxatilis (basket of gold), Dianthus, Gentiana (gentian), Heuchera (coral bells), Origanum (low-growing oregano), Lithodora, Potentilla, Saxifraga, Sedum (stonecrop)and Veronica (speedwell). Hope the above lists help you decide which plants you'd like to grow. Best wishes with your new garden!