The Q&A Archives: I Need A Fast Growing Non Deciduous Tree To 25-30 Feet

Question: I'm need a fast growing non deciduous tree to 25-30 feet. I live in the Hollywood Hills, Sunset magazine zone 23. The soil is decomposing granite. I don't want to use Eucalyptus because of the disease currently afflecting such trees in this area. Flowering tree suggestions would be great. Please let me know your recommendations.

Answer: Broadleaf evergreen trees suitable for your growing region include Castanospermum, (Bay Chestnut), Cinnamomum camphora (camphor), Elaeocarpus decipiens (Japanese Blueberry Tree and Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree). All provide flowers either during the spring or summer months. Their rates of growth will depend upon the growing conditions, but all the above are reliable landscape trees. Best wishes with your new trees.