The Q&A Archives: What Shrubs Do I Plant

Question: I need to know what shrubs I can plant on a bank off my deck to keep soil from slipping. It is a med. grade, clay type, dry, sun for 3/4 day. Is there a deep rooted shrub, or plant that will grow in this clay type soil? Thank you

Answer: The most carefree and adaptable plants suitable for erosion control are generally "native" plants. Because they're native to the area, they tend to be more disease and insect free, and require very little in terms of care and maintenance. Some Oregon native shurbs to consider include Amelanchier alnifolia (Saskatoon berry), Mahonia aquifoliium (Oregon grape), Ribes aureum (golden currant), and Vaccinium ovatum (evergreen huckleberry). Fragaria chiloensis (beach strawberry) is an excellent choice for a groundcover, as is Mahonia repens (creeping mahonia). Best wishes with your new plants!