The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Narrow Upright Junipers

Question: I found many varieties of Juniper trees on your site.

I am interested in finding out what variety is the fastest growing with the narrowest profile. The higher the eventual size of the tree, the better. I am trying to use the tree as a natural privacy fence along neighboring property line.

Answer: Unfortunately, junipers as a group are relatively slow growing plants so I am not sure they will fit the bill. An exceptionally tall and narrow form however is Skyrocket. These plants require a well drained soil and full sun to grow well but do not be surprised if they grow at only a foot a year or so.

In addition to junipers, another plant you might wish to consider is the arborvitae which is often used for this type of screening. I would also suggest you consult with your local nurseryman as to what would be better suited to the soil and growing conditions in your yard.

You might also consider a fence since that would be the narrowest and fastest solution to the problem. A wooden fence can be stained a soft green or gray and a flowering vine or two can be planted along it to soften the look and provide seasonal color. Sometimes this is the most effective solution.