The Q&A Archives: Repelling Moles Or Gophers

Question: What are the best ways to keep gophers and moles away from a yard. Lately I have found mounds of dirt and holes in my lawn.

Answer: Although there are lots of reported remedies for getting rid of gophers, including plants and homemade concoctions, nothing really works except trapping the creatures. Gophers and moles feed on grubs and other insects in the soil. As long as you have healthy soil teaming with beneficial insects and their larvae, you'll have the potential for attracting gophers. To get rid of gophers, invest in a scissors-type gopher trap, and set it carefully - as often as necessary to catch and kill the entire population. Once you've gotten rid of the gophers, encourage your neighbors to do the same. If it's any consolation, gophers in your yard are a compliment to your skills as a gardener. They prefer rich, moist, organic soil teeming with insects!