The Q&A Archives: Has My Purple Potato Bush( Solanum Rantonneti) Died?

Question: I planted a purple potato bush last spring/summer and it blommed beautifully throughout November, by December it was all branches and still has no sign of life. Should I pull it from the ground or is there anything i could do to save it at this point? It got pretty cold here with some snow where we live could that of killed it? HELP??????????? Thank you for your time. Maria

Answer: Solanum rantonnetii is an evergreen shrub in its native Argentina, but would be considered a tender annual in your gardening region unless you grew it indoors during the winter months. I'm afraid the cold winter weather killed your plant and it won't come back this spring. If you decide to grow another, keep it in a container and take it indoors in late fall, returning it to the garden in spring when the weather warms.