The Q&A Archives: Plum Tree

Question: I have heard of a "Weeping Santa Rosa Plum" tree. I can find no information in Sunset or in your website. Do you have it? What size is it at maturity? Can I get a dwarf or semi-dwarf? OK in sunny location with some wind. I live on a hill in West San Fernando Valley. Thank you for any and all info.

Answer: Weeping Santa Rosa plum has a unique drooping habit, growing only 6'-8' high at maturity. It's a Japanese variety, self-fruitful so it needs no other plum to develop fruit. It produces medium to large purplish-red skin with a heavy blue bloom and yellow flesh. All fruit-bearing trees perform best in full sunshine, and once established can tolerate some wind. You'll find more details about the tree in Sunset Western Garden Book under "plum", "Japanese varieties", 'Santa Rosa'.