The Q&A Archives: What Is Wheat Grass ?

Question: Recently I have seen a grass which I was told is called "wheat grass". I saw it in a floral shop in CA and then again at the huge Garden Show at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. Both times it was in a pot circling annuals. It is very course, bright-dark green and stands very straight. The florist told me all you have to do is sheer it as low as you want and it will continue to grow - just like a turf grass - even though it is in a container. It was very attractive, not only the grass itself but also the planting/displays you can design. I have searched your site and others and cannot find any reference to it. Any idea what I am referring to? If so, what is the correct name and where should I look to purchase it?

Answer: Wheatgrass seed is often sold in organic or natural food stores as a sprouting seed, I have also seen it in pet stores to be grown as a grass for indoor cats to nibble on for a treat. You can also locate it for mail order by using a search engine such as google and entering wheatgrass as your search term. Good luck in your search!