The Q&A Archives: Slime on Lawn

Question: Every winter my lawn gets covered by slime - I brush it off and sprinkle with disinfectant but it keeps coming back. Got any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Answer: You didn't describe the slime, but it's probably a fungal disease and it's probably worse in the spring and fall months during periods of high moisture. Is it possible that your lawn is unhealthy due to poor soil, low organic matter, low fertility and low or high pH? The best strategy to avoid further disease is to try improving the overall health of your lawn. Dolomitic lime will raise the pH, and regular applications of a balanced fertilizer will make the grass grow more vigorously. You might want to try leaving the clippings on the lawn when you mow, to add organic matter and traces of nitrogen to the soil.