The Q&A Archives: Locating Local Retailer Of 'mission' Fig Variety

Question: I am trying to find a retailer of the 'Mission' fig variety. Most local nurseries in my area do not sell this variety. I would appreciate if you could let me know what retailers in my area sell the 'Mission' fig variety.

Answer: Unfortunately I do not have local phone book and so can't locate local retailers for you; also I can not verify who has what currently in stock. However, you might want to try the zip code search at the Monrovia web site which brings up garden centers carrying Monrovia and other products.

These tend to be large full service retailers most likely to have what you are looking for, or possibly be able to order it for you, or possibly suggest a substitute.

It is also possible that they are not carrying Mission if they feel it does not do well in your locale, so a bit of consultation with knowledgeable local nursery personnel might be helpful. Even the hardier figs, including Mission and Brown Turkey, are only rated hardy to USDA zone 7.